Paper Marbling & Traditional Book Binding Structures with Carey Watters
Sat-Sun, August 20-21, 2022 | 9am-4pm both days | Deadline to register: August 1 by 4pm
$160/person + $30 kit fee
This workshop focuses on the timeless crafts of bookbinding and paper marbling. Learn how to create interesting and unpredictable patterns on paper, several book binding styles, and basic skills in paper and book arts. Discover opportunities for experimentation within each process. Open to all levels.
About the Instructor: Carey Watters
Carey Watters is associate professor of graphic design at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside in Kenosha, Wisconsin. She received her MFA from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in printmaking and book arts. Watters has been working as a professional graphic designer since receiving her BFA in graphic design from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 1999. Her paper works weave together concepts regarding feminism, historic map making, and religious and pagan symbolism. Her work is a direct result of her residencies and travels to Calabria, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily, Italy and her research of Byzantine architecture, design, and religious reliquaries.
In the event a workshop is cancelled due to low enrollment, you will be contacted immediately and refunded entirely. Please review our cancellation policy here.
Here at River Arts, your safety is the most important thing for us. We plan to run in-person studio classes, but with the following safety precautions added:
- A limit of 8 students in each class
- All students will work at their own 6ft table, maintaining social distancing
- Studio staff will clean all surfaces at the end of each day.
- Disposable masks and hand sanitizer will be available to all students free of charge
- Face masks are currently optional. *This policy is subject to change based on most current CDC guidelines at the time of the workshop*