Color Mixing, Color Balance, and Color Charts with Jan Norsetter
Sat, March 11, 2023| 9:30am-3pm with lunch break | Deadline to register: 2/15/23 by 4pm
$85/person. See below for supplies to bring
There are lots of oil colors out there! It can be expensive to buy them all and a pain to keep track of them. In this class geared towards artists or those looking to take their art to the next level, we will explore mixing oils. We’ll mix as many colors as we can using the fewest number of “mother” colors. We’ll explore using basic colors and then add some additional colors for comparison. We will make color charts to keep track of our mixes and we’ll do all of this without dirtying a brush. Color mixing is also a good time to practice wielding a palette knife!
Beginners are welcome. There will be a lunch break, so please either bring a lunch (fridge and microwave available) or be prepared to purchase food nearby.
Supplies to bring along:
- Pencil or pen for labeling your color charts
- Ruler if you’re using tape to make the squares
- Small compass
- Palette knife (IF you use brushes it’s a lot more work. Lots of bristles to clean after each color – NO solvents allowed!!!)
- Substrate for color swatches: Canvas paper, 10 sheets per pad – 9×12”. We can fit 4 small color charts on each 9×12” sheet plus we will use a few sheets for some of the variations.
- Paper towels or rags
- Wax paper or saran wrap or shallow boxes to transport your wet color charts.
Oil colors. These are the colors I use most often. If you have them, bring them along. If your palette is different then bring those colors instead. For best results you’ll need a yellow, red, and blue.
- Titanium White (PW6)
- Permanent Madder Deep (PR264)
- Cadmium Yellow Light (PY35)
- Hansa Yellow (PY3)
- Cadmium Red Light (PR108)
- Ultramarine Blue (PB29)
- Cerulean Blue (PB35)
We’ll take a break at noon so bring a sack lunch.