This video will show you how to make DIY non-toxic playdough, using materials you likely already have in your kitchen! *Please note this is not meant to be eaten! It’s non-toxic, but man will it taste horrible*
- Glass mixing bowl
- Large spoon
- Heat-safe, microwavable measuring cup
- ¾ cup water, minus 3 tablespoons*
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil. (I used vegetable oil)
- 1 cup flour
- OPTIONAL: kool-aid packets for color and scent, or food coloring
- Measure the water and lemon juice into a heatproof, microwavable measuring cup. Heat in the microwave until just boiling, about three minutes. You can also put in pan and heat up on the stove until boiling
- While that’s heating, mix together flour and salt in glass bowl
- If using kool aid for the fragrance, slowly (and I mean s-l-o-w-l-y, because the mixture will foam a bit) pour the kool-aid packets into the HOT water and lemon juice mixture. You can also add food coloring at this time
- Slowly pour the liquid into the flour and salt mixture, and stir with a wooden paddle until it just barely begins to form a dough.
- Drizzle the tablespoon of cooking oil over the dough and stir again until it forms a ball. At this point, you may want to knead the dough with your hands.
- It may feel a bit sticky, but DO NOT add more flour. As the dough cools it will thicken and become less sticky
- Allow the dough to cool a bit on a sheet of aluminum foil, wax paper, or a clean countertop. Takes about ten minutes
- Repeat for any other colors you want to make. (Hint: If you start with lighter colors and work darker, you don’t have to clean utensils between each batch!)
- Play away!
To store, place in a sealed container. Storing in the refrigerator is optional.
All done! Did you make this project? Share with us on social media, or email Kristina with your creations!