Position Title: Gallery and Studio Manager
Status: Full-time, salaried, exempt, flexible work schedule, some evenings and weekends required including a minimum of two Saturdays per month
Reports to: Executive Director
The River Arts, Inc. (RAI) mission is to enrich, inspire and educate the community through the arts. The organization was chartered in 1997 to raise the capital to construct the River Arts Center, a performance and gallery venue for the Sauk Prairie community. Once construction was completed, RAI’s role has changed to one of an arts presenter and promoter. In 2011, RAI opened River Arts on Water, a retail art gallery that features over 30 local artists, and also serves as RAI’s main office headquarters and ticketing outlet. In 2017, RAI opened its Studio space which offers a variety of classes for all ages. Today, the organization hosts over 75 programs per year with the retail gallery open five days a week.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan all classes (youth and adult) including, but not limited to, coordinating class needs with instructors, making sure necessary supplies are on hand, coordinating set-up and tear-down, creating and managing instructor contracts, obtaining necessary photo release forms, sending out class reminders, and sending out post class surveys.
• Send monthly studio reports to Executive Director and presents to Board of Directors as requested
• Manage private gallery and studio rentals
• Update website content and write press releases for classes as needed
• Promote classes (social media, online calendars, etc)
• Ensure the space is always clean at the end of each day
• Other duties as needed
River Arts on Water Gallery
● Greet customers, assist with questions, handle sales transactions (general customer service)
● Manage artists’ inventory in Artwork Archive and coordinate new art drop off or check out.
● Manage artist contracts
● Manage 3-month feature schedule of artists, help install new features/gallery redo, plan receptions
● Manage/create online art exhibits as needed
● Record all sales in sales log, mark sold in Artwork Archive
● Train and manage gallery volunteers
● Complete ticket sale transactions
● Promote gallery (social media, etc)
● Ensure the space is always clean at the end of each day
● Special projects as assigned by Executive Director
River Arts Center Gallery
● Work with Executive Director to coordinate exhibits each season and assist with curating as needed
● Coordinate installation and tear down needs for each exhibit
● Assist with art receptions
Cow Chip Art Fair
● Create online event application
● Manage and record submissions, prepare submissions for jury process, create booth assignments
● Manage communication with vendors including welcome packets
● Assist with prep and day of event needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Self-starter able to work under own direction and take ownership of all aspects of the gallery’s operations
• A passion for and inquisitiveness about the arts in all their iterations, particularly visual arts
• Comfortable working solo and with volunteers
• Personable; good listening and communication skills.
• Excellent writing and organizational skills
• Computer literate
• Able to lift and move up to 30 pounds
• Bachelor’s Degree in arts related field
• Experience within the arts, including as an artist, performer, administrator, or technician
• Experience with WordPress, ticketing software, Artwork Archive, Photoshop, or Illustrator
Salary and Benefits
Salary range: $35,000-$45,000 commensurate with experience. Following a 90-day orientation period, this position is eligible for paid time off as well as a health reimbursement plan. Following a one-year period, this position is eligible to participate in an employee retirement plan.
Please include the following documents in pdf format:
• One page resume
• Contact information for at least two professional references
To ensure consideration, completed online applications must be received by end of day, 11:59 pm, on July 15, 2022. However, screening may continue until the needs of the recruitment are met. Email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Gallery and Studio Manager.
Interviews will be offered on a rolling basis starting as early as July 18, 2022, with an intended start date of August 4, 2022.