Wet Felted Vessels in Wool & Silk with Janis Merkle
Sat Nov 13, 2021 | 12-4pm| Deadline to register: Nov 6 by 4pm
$35 class fee + $15 kit fee. See below for more info about supplies
Create a beautiful wool and silk felt vessel for yourself or someone on your gift-giving list! In this workshop you will learn the magical process of wet felting. Using only soapy water and your hands, in a few hours you will transform a handful of loose wool fibers into a solid and seamless three-dimensional felt object. You will take home a gorgeous felt vessel of your own design, along with the knowledge needed to create more on your own.
No previous experience needed. We recommend you wear clothes that can get wet.
Materials fee: $15. The instructor provides all wool and silk fiber material, soap, and printed handouts.
Students will need to bring:
- A dishpan at least 9″ wide. It should be large enough to hold 2-3 inches of water. (Rubbermaid has good options on Amazon for this)
- A jar with a wide mouth
- A spray bottle (at least 10 oz capacity)
- Several towels
About the Instructor: Janis Merkle
After practicing a variety of fiber arts, I discovered wet felting seven years ago. The transformation of loose wool fibers into a solid piece of felt using only soapy water seemed completely magical and I was hooked. Partially self-taught, I have also had the opportunity to study with innovative felt artists from around the world. Under the name Primrose Fiber Arts, I create one-of-a-kind felt wearables, vessels, and 2D wall pieces. I enjoy exploring how other materials, including silk and plant fibers, silk fabric, and paper, can be combined with wool in the wet felting process to achieve very different effects.
In the event a workshop is cancelled due to low enrollment, you will be contacted immediately and refunded entirely. Please review our cancellation policy here.
Here at River Arts, your safety is the most important thing for us. We plan to run in-person studio classes, but with the following safety precautions added:
- A limit of 7 students in each class
- All students will work at their own 6ft table, maintaining social distancing
- Studio staff will clean and disinfect all surfaces at the end of each day.
- Latex-free rubber gloves, disposable masks, and hand sanitizer will be available to all students free of charge
- Face masks required for students and instructor
- Subject to change based on most current CDC guidelines*
We plan to keep these measures in place for the foreseeable future, depending on where things are at. It’s very much a day-by-day process at this point. Thank you!