The Circle Game with Lisa Binkley (Beading, embroidery)
Saturday-Sunday, March 23-24, 2019 | 9am-4pm both days
Early Bird Registration: $195 + $40 kit before March 9, $215 + $40 kit after March 9
Circles can be found throughout the natural world and in human designs from diverse cultures and across millennia. Circles appeal to us on so many levels—they are simple and elegant; they’re curved, organic, and smooth, with no sharp corners; they evoke a comforting sense of completeness and totality; they’re in the hugs that embrace us and the nests that protect baby birds. Circles are as familiar as the dot of an “i” or the period at the end of a sentence. They come to us in images of the Earth from space. Circles are as tiny as a subatomic particle and as large as a black hole.
In this class we explore and create a sampler of circular motifs in bead embroidery. Working with a wide variety of beads we will learn, design, and stitch a diverse range of circular forms that could be used on art quilts, garments, and other fiber art.
Some previous embroidery experience is recommended.
* A wide variety of beads
* A detailed color booklet of instructions, inspiration, and options for stitching
Students should bring with them to class:
* A small pair of sharp scissors
* A bead scoop or small spoon for scooping up loose beads
* A bead cloth for holding loose beads
* A portable task lamp
* A pen or pencil for note-taking and possible sketching in the provided booklet
* OPTIONAL: Any additional beads, buttons, threads you might wish to use