SOLD OUT! Please contact Kristina at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a waiting list for this class. Thank you!
Value Does the Work, Color Gets the Credit (Oil Painting Workshop) with Jan Norsetter
Saturday-Sunday, June 29-30, 2019 | 9am-3pm (Sat), 10am-3pm (Sun)
Early Bird Registration: $165 before June 14, $185 after June 14
In this oil painting class we will explore the role of value vs color. We’ll start by doing some very basic value studies and progress to using color. The aim of this class is to give you some experience in dissecting a scene or photo, being able to start a painting and continue the painting to a degree of finish. We will paint several studies and some basic color charts exploring the role of color palettes in paintings. Beginners are welcome, as well as those with some oil painting experience.
For this class you’ll need:
- Palette knife
- Oil paints – see colors below or bring what you have
- Brushes: bristle brushes like Robert Simmons Signet filberts and or flats, sizes 6 or 7 or 8 and up, if you have them. Bring what you have. The bigger the better unless your brushes are for wall painting;-)
- Substrates: Canvas paper, 10 sheets per pad, so if you get the smallest pad (9×12”) you may want to buy two pads. Can also use gessoed mat boards or gessoed mdf (medium density fiberboard)
- Paper towels (I really like VIVA for painting)
- Masking Tape (makes a tidier sample painting but you don’t have to do it this way – 1/4” or 1/2” is great for this).
Oil Paints – Suggested colors
Titanium White (PW6) • Cerulean Blue (PB35) • Ultramarine Blue (PB29) • Alizarin Crimson (PV19 or PR83) • Cadmium Red Light (PR108) • Cadmium Yellow Light (PY35) • Hansa Yellow (aka Arylide Yellow) (PY3) • optional colors: Black, Burnt Sienna, Prussian Blue, Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre.
*No solvents allowed for this class. Please bring alternatives. You can contact Jan with questions on what might work best.
*There will be a lunch break as part of the class. Please bring a sack lunch so we can chat during the break.
For questions, please contact Kristina at email@example.com